Goats/Straining

Question
QUESTION: Hi Donna:
Here we go again!
Harley my. Nigerian dwarf Pygmy goat
Is straining to go poop
Having a tough time pushing it out
I did give him some mineral oil orally
Any ideas??
Of what to do
I've heard warm soapy water used as enema?

ANSWER: Sounds like constipation, and this can occur from over eating grains, fresh vegetables, or even worms.    Is he peeing okay?  Just no poop?Mineral works well - would be using 2 tablespoons every 2 hours for 3 doses for Harley.  Usually by second dose you will see improvement.  Can use human enemas/infant works well or little goats - these can help only if the plug is closer to the rectum.  Keeping him hydrated will help too.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Wanted to say I am sorry I did not get back to you sooner, I did not hear my notification.  If you ever need to talk sooner than the email please feel free to call me at 360-742-8310.  Donna

QUESTION: Hi Donna
 Did. The mineral this morning
Seems to be pooping a little better but with little light color worms
I bought the zimectrin and gave him some
I see the worms but can't tell if there moving
His poop is mostly in clumps not pellets all the time
Been giving him water drinks just fine
Still walks. Bit then lays down looks like his sides are quivering As
he lays on his side
Be every time he gets up and moves he poops a little

ANd don't be sorry your getting back to me just fine :)
Now can I still give mineral oil even though I gave him the zimecterin?

ANSWER: Thanks for the update.  Yes, you can still give him the mineral oil.  Is he eating okay? Glad he is pooping.  After about one to two days of the wormer the worms should be dead and the goat should be pooping more and then by about 7 days out the poop should be pelleted.  Hope this helps - Donna

QUESTION: Donna
 Lol. Not to be gross !
But you should see the long worms comming out of his butt now
Long and short ones
He really didn't not eat much today wasn't sure how much to feed him and what at this time
As far s pee : he pees a little then stops then pees again stops for about 4x

And on. Personal. Note:
I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your help
With all the things you must have to do I appreciate your help Donna
WHat a great service this is!!

Answer
Sounds like he has a huge case of roundworms.  Both Zimectrin  and Safeguard generally take care of the roundworms.  Yup, I agree it is gross - but glad the worms are dying and coming out.  I might think he would not be eating much as he probably does not feel too good. Would give him probiotics - either human yogurt or livestock probiotic gel/paste or powder - along with vitamin B complex - this will keep his rumen healthy while getting rid of the worms - for his size I would use one tablespoon of yogurt mixed with a little water to thin it and to that add one vitamin B complex tablet that is crushed up to a powder, mix well, and give orally once a day until he is back to normal.  

Is he drinking water for you? Is he drinking his milk for you?  Might offer him human electrolytes/pedialyte to keep him hydrated.  

The peeing abnormality may just be from his constipation but would let me know if it continues after he is back to normal poop.  

I try to help as much as I can because I remember what it was like not to have a veterinarian who could or would help with illnesses of my goats so over the years after learning as much as can and continuing to learn as much as I can about goat health and nutrition I try to pass that help on - you are more than welcome - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres