Goats/Arthritis

Question
I have an old goat who has arthritis and is having a hard time getting around.  She is about 100 lbs and 10-12 years old. I was told by a vet that she would need a lot of aspirin or I could give her Bute. It's very hard to make a goat eat a lot of aspirin, so I am looking for something else. Is Bute a good choice? I heard it is not good for goats, but vet suggested it.

Answer
I like aspirin the best.  I use one 325 mg human aspirin per 75 to 100 pounds given every 4 to 6 hours as needed.  This can be long term. The key for aspirin is to crush the aspirin tablets and dissolve in a little hot water, cooled and given as an oral drench - this works best and is easy to give.  For goats with arthritis giving aspirin twice a day can help.  Use of human glucosamine with MSM works well.  Dose is one to two tablets twice a day per 100-150 pounds body weight - again you need to crush these tablets and dissolve in a little hot water, cool and give orally.  You can mix the two together if you want.  I also add a little apple juice or other sweetened juice to disguise the taste.  You don't have to add much of the juice.  Hope this helps - let me know.  

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres