Hi Donna, you may remember i have a goat 10 years old Doe, pregnant, and has pneumonia. I tried noramycyn active ingredient oxytetracycline for 6 days , no effect. I then gave Resflur a treatment used in cattle for fast onset pneumonia , with some success, actually i thought it was gone, but came back second dose of resflur, and some improvement, but short lived. I believe as you said before this is fungal pneumonia, and i now am useing penicillen . I'm giving 5cc 2x a day and on day three. She is very congested, somewhat laboured breathing. She continues to eat and drink temp is good, poop normal. I did notice a drop in her appitite though this morning. Started New Cell. What can i give for the congestion and how long should i give the pen/g ? Thanks

The Resflur should take care of any fungal/mycoplasm pneumonia.  This pneumonia could just be a chronic bacterial pneumonia.  Along with the penicillin I would increase vitamin D, vitamin C, and zinc for her to help strengthen her immune system.  Re the congestion I usually use children's benadryl - this is a liquid that helps with congestion - use of one teaspoon per 50 pounds every 4 hours can help the goats.  Would give penicillin for 7 to 10 days.  You do have her on probiotics, correct?  Also, injections are intramuscular, correct?  Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County