Goats/baby goat born in very cold weather

QUESTION: I had a nanny have twins in the barn two days ago, we lost one and the other was barely hanging in there. Picked him up and brought him in the house as the temp outside for a high was only 12 degrees. I warmed him up and didn't force feed him. About 330 am he let me know he was hungry so I fixed a cup of colostrum and let him suck what he wanted which was about half a cup. Came home at noon to feed him again and he finished the remaining amount. Let him run loose and learn to walk around the house at night tried to feed him and he refused at 10pm so I went to bed. I heard him cry at 130am so I warmed up the rest of the bottle and gave it to him. Now this morning he is limp and weak. What do I do?

ANSWER: HI Pamela-
This baby is not getting enough to eat.. newborn babies who have bee n chilled, eat about every hour the first day or so.. then every couple hours for  a few days after that..  too much time is between his feedings - let me share my articles with you - one on birth chill  and one on bottle feeding.. right now you must bring his body temp up to 100 degrees or more - I suspect it is below ,  a bit of warm water with a tsp of molasses or corn syrup in it and maybe a bit of coffee in it..  you will have to take his temperature with a digital thermometer rectally - normal is 101.5 to 103.5 - if the baby has a temp below 100 he cannot digest the milk and it will sit in the gut and go toxic - he needs to be in front of a space heater  so he can breath in warm air.. warm air in the lungs will help boost his internal body temperature. ALSO I would stick my finger in the  corn syrup and directly into the moth a few times to give him a boost of  sugar to help bring up  his blood sugar quickly..  he is at the stage you may lose him without acting quick and  continuing to  care for him on an hourly basis..

This is what you do in a situation as you had with finding this baby cold :

Feed milk - whole milk from the grocery store if you do not have goat milk -
Here is how to bottle feed him:
Guideline for Bottle Baby Dairy Goat Feeding Schedule
Pygmy and Nigerian Goat Baby Amounts in [ ]:

* Day one- 2-4oz. [1-3] (per feeding) colostrum, every 2-3 hours.
   * Day two- 3 oz. [2-3] (per feeding) colostrum if you have it or whole milk, 8-10 times a day
   * Day three- 4 oz.[3] (per feeding) colostrum if you have it or whole milk, 8 times a day
   * Day four- 6oz. [4-5] (per feeding) whole milk, 7-8 times a day.
   * Week One - 6-8oz [4-5] (per feeding) whole milk, 7-8 times a day.
   * For the next 2 weeks-6-8oz.[4-6] (per feeding) whole milk, 6 times a day.
   * For the next 2 months-10-12 oz.[6-8] (per feeding)whole milk, 4-5 times a day.
   * For the next 1 month or 6 weeks-10-12 oz. [6-8] (per feeding)whole milk, 3 times a day.
   * 10-12 oz. [8-10] (per feeding) once a day for the next 2 months.

This is JUST a guideline- Adjust as needed - start with the recommended amount and feel the baby's tummy- Stop when it feels full but not tight- measure what is left in the bottle and feed what the baby ate- as the baby grows add to that amount according to size.

QUESTION: Thing is he refuses to eat or suck the bottle when I do feed him in between. He just won't take it and is fighting me to do so. I'm at a loss...

You need to take his rectal temperature..  stick your finger like I said, into  corn syrup or molasses and directly into the mouth.. is his mouth cold or warm?  What do you have in the bottle?  is it warm enough?  it take a lot of patience,  ALSO has he pooped?  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University