Goats/Baby Goat Diarrhea

I have 8 day old Nubian Buckling that was abandoned by his momma he was the runt of triplets. I took him in as a bottle baby and been feeding him cows milk with buttermilk and evaporated milk. He did fine for the 1st week and stays out with his siblings jumping and a playing for the day and then I bring him in at night. Yesterday evening i noticed he had runny yellow poo waterly like not mustard like normal. So i took if off milk and started him bounce back and homemade electrolyte solution that always seems to work for me. He has a rectal temp of 101.2 moving around fine still interested in food but by afternoon today his poop went from yellow to lime green to a few minutes ago dark runny green that it just drips out. He's only a week old am could it be Cocci this early or something else. The only thing ive done is normally I give 2 cc of pepto for bottle babies that seem a Lil runny and never have problems this Lil guy ive questioned myself which I never do. Can you give any pointers or tips of what I should do?

HI Brittaney,

8 days old I highly doubt it is cocci - most likely in this case it is e-coli and or feed scours- or a combination of both - I would treat him for e-coli myself.. I would also change his diet to just regular whole cow milk and nix the buttermilk and evap - this may be far to rich for his system -
Read my article on Kid Scouring:  it gives  the different reasons a bit of info on each and how to treat each of them..  very detailed.. the main thing here is to keep him hydrated. I would feed him electrolytes for a 24/36 hour period and then introduce mill back very slowly -
Mix up a quart of any good livestock electrolyte mix (I prefer Vi-Tal) But any good MILKLESS electrolyte powdered solution will work  (read the ingredients) , ( or in a pinch you can use gatorade, pediolyte or  sports drink) , add to each bottle 2 pumps of  goat nutri-drench (or equivalent) and a  tsp of molasses or corn syrup to each bottle for energy.

This will be a 4 day feeding process:

Day 1- use this exclusively in all bottles
    Day 2 -give 1/2 this solution and half milk (regular  whole cows milk from the grocer)
    Day 3- give 2/3 milk and 1/3 this solution
    Day 4-give all whole milk

This allows the baby goat to adjust to the change gradually and reduces the chance of further gut upset.

I use Biosol ( ) for  this type of scouring - it's an oral liquid you use very little of it and can be found at most feed stores.  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University