Goats/goat abusing one another

We are in the middle of kidding our small herd and we have a pen of goats that we believe are close but not close enough to put into an individual pen. While in that pen we had one become aggrisive at feeding time.  Another goat in that pen was a first time kidder and we put her in an individual pen because thought it was time which it was she had a pair of still born twins.  ( we also put the aggrisive one by herself) now my questions first is the fact that the first timer got beat up could that be why her kids where still born? Second will cutting back grain and only giving hay will that help her dry up?

Hi Bob,
If the doe got side-blasted by another goat it could happen. There are other reasons though for abortion. Were you there at kidding? It may be the babies were born and first time mom didn't know what to do.. leaving them  without cleaning the face and nose- which can appear as stillborn. and yes,  it will help by cutting back on the grain. If she gets too full you may have to milk her out to give relief. Watch for mastitis - the udder gets  hot and lumpy sometimes hard, which can happen to an unrelieved udder.
I'm so sorry she lost her babies.  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University