Goats/goat urinary calculi

What are the symptoms of urinary calculi. I have a young male goat that is not acting right. He seems to be straining like something is internally not right. He is eating and drinking, but to a reduced amount. Recommended treatment?

HI Chris,
Symptoms are straining to pee,  dribbling , no urine flow, stretching the belly, kicking at the belly, possible blood in the urine and/or under belly big for it's normal size. Many folks see UC and  think the goat may be constipated-  Urinary Calculi is a very serious matter for goats - without  relieving the blockage,  the bladder will most likely burst and this is a fatal situation. Some folks at home try to snip off the urethral process (the little flag thing on the end of the extended penis) Not an easy task and not always  the answer - IF the stone  is near the tip  the opening here is very tiny and the stone may be blocking it. Snipping this off  can allow  the flow to  pass (Must be done with very sharp scissors that have been cleaned with alcohol, and DO expect bleeding) If this is successful the urine will shoot out as in the photo in the article- If the stone is higher, it requires the help of a vet.  I have a very good article for you to read that explains it and has photos -

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University