Goats/goats premature births

we have had two goats now that have had babies too early. they shouldn't of been born till the last of march. wondered what is causing that. wondered if we are feeding something they shouldn't have. only getting hay and a little corn. they are having babies that are not matured yet. goats don't have milk or seen any signs of getting milk.

HI Jack,
I'm sorry for your losses.  There are many reasons for  does to abort - I have an article on the subject that explains many of the causes for late gestation abortion in goats  on my website here: .  Being  only 2 does I don't know if this could be  called an abortion storm or not, Really the only way to tell for sure what caused it  IF it is of an infectious nature.. is to have blood samples form the dead fetuses tested  for disease/virus. There are so many variables,  the age of the doe, the nutritional intake,  possible disease or virus,  physical accident, too many to guess. If  you have another, I would take the fetus  directly to the vet  to have it tested. And if  there is anyone  (human) there who may be pregnant,  have them wear gloves while handling the babies/goats. I'm so sorry.  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University