Goats/grain requirements

Hi Donna , how are you . Everything here is going very well health wise for the goats . Kidding has begun with 4 born to two moms , 4 boys . I noticed on the rest of my girls that their weight appears to be down a bit . They are in the last 3 weeks of pregnancy , and it has been terrible cold here again . I have good grain , feeding 16% protein , and of course all the other goodies . For 100 lb goat , pregnant with twins how much grain should she have a day ? I don't want to increase to fast to avoid ketosis . Right now they are getting 2-3 cups grain a day , and all the hay they can eat plus tree's here and there . Thanks .

Had some snow here but goats liked it - crazy goats!  Okay so for a pregnant doe they should get 5 to 6% of their body weight in feed a day and of that 2/3 in hay and 1/3 in grain.  The only item is that for pregnant does in their last 4 weeks of pregnancy you want to keep the protein around 12% so that the kids don't get too big - with that said it is the fat content that you want to keep high for the does - I use cooking oil and bread along with a 12 to 14% protein grain to help with their own needs.  Ketosis happens when they don't have enough sugar in their diets - especially with twins or more on board - I use molasses water given every day starting at 2 weeks before kidding to keep ketosis away.  What happens when the grain is increased too quickly is a digestive upset.  Hope that helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County