Goats/miscarriage

Question
Help please- our just turned one year old, expecting dairy goat  miscarried this morning. She was not quite to 4 months. She seems to be doing well, enough anyway.
We have minimal experience with goats and have only had one single birth a year ago, that baby is great. We did take a course online and read everything we can, we have 9 goats now and still feel like we know less than ever...
What do we do now?
It does not seem as though the after birth has passed? The fetuses with placenta are detached.
First, we do not have a vet. We live in Central Florida and have none- we have looked. My son has geared his education to Animal Science and has just begun his pursuit to a Veterinarian degree.
Should we start an antibiotic?, all we have is Pen G.
She is with 4 other goats-3 female/1 male, all gentle with one another except for the occasional feed barrel pushing, but we have been feeding her by herself... if any of the others are bred they are not showing yet, the buck is young, just about 1 year old.
She showed no signs of labor when we last saw her last night.
Sorry to throw all this out there, just trying to give enough info to get some help back.
Thank you so much.
Oh, and she has been eating Dairy Noble Non medicated, alfalfa pellet, coastal hay, and graze- grass, palmetto=Florida wild that she has always eaten.
Thank you again so much.

Answer
Sorry for the loss.  What did the fetus (was this one fetus or did she have two miscarries)  look like? Any necrosis/breakdown of the skin? So she has not passed her placenta yet?  Is she passing any blood or other discharge?  If she is passing discharge still is it brown or grey in color or does it smell badly?  Re the palmetto plant - that can cause miscarriage in late pregnancy - pregnant women are even told not to take saw palmetto.  So if the doe ate a large amount it is possible this could have been the cause.  The other cause could have been a selenium deficiency or the fetus was abnormal/not healthy in some way.  When you checked her last night did you also check her pelvic ligaments? At about four weeks prior to kidding I start checking the doe's pelvic ligaments morning and night just to be sure kidding is not happening early.  Also, allowing a buck to stay in with pregnant does can be hazardous to the does as once their hormones are kicking in getting ready for kidding (up to 4 weeks out) the buck can sometimes be aggressive or pushy or chase the does too much and cause enough stress to cause a miscarriage.  Did you use this buck for these does or did you use another buck?

To answer your question about what to do now, first thing is if she has not passed her placenta (did you see her miscarry?) then you could give her Pulsatilla (homeopathic remedy) or use Black Cohosh to help with placenta delivery - placenta should pass within 12 hours of kidding and even then that is late normal.   Would start her on penicillin at 3 cc per 100 pounds body weight given intramuscularly in the thigh (20 gauge 3/4 inch needle is best) twice a day for 5 days.  Would watch to be sure she is eating and drinking, peeing and pooping well, as well as watching for discharge color/smell.  During the time a goat is on antibiotics they also must be on probiotics - I use yogurt thinned with a little water so that I can orally drench the doe twice a day with it - about 2 tablespoons each time of yogurt.  Have you given intramuscular injections before?

Hope this helps - let me know about the answers to my questions - thanks - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres