Goats/Baby Goat Disbudding Problems

Hi, I'm Matti :) My 3 year old doe recently had 3 kids. 2 bucklings and 1 doeling..anyways I took them to the vet to be disbudded, there is really no problem with the disbudding part, rather the after reaction. She is about 3 weeks old.. no bleeding when she was disbudded except for maybe a little bit you can see when she was clipped with the clamps. So about 4 hours later I noticed so had swelling in her eye lid. Is this normal? Thank you :)

It is not normal. It means that she was burned too long and developed some swelling. I have had this happen once in the distant past. Do you have any banamine? Or a baby aspirin? It is anti inflammatory. Hopefully the swelling will go down on its own fairly soon.

Cheryl K. Smith

Goat Health Care; basic goat management. Author of Goat Health Care (2009) and Raising Goats for Dummies (2010)

Publisher of Goat Health Care, I have raised miniature dairy goats since 1998. I published Ruminations, the Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Dairy Goat magazine for 7 years and mentor other goat owners, as I was mentored for my first years.

American Goat Society (AGS), The Miniature Goat Registry (TMGR)

Raising Goats for Dummies (author) Goat Health Care (Editor and Author), Ruminations, Dairy Goat Journal, Issues in Law and Medicine, Topics in Health Records Management, Oregon Bar Bulletin, Midwifery Today, Countryside

BS, Health Information Administration JD, Law