Goats/Boer Doe 3 months old

Question
15 days ago this doeling started bobbing her head. I called the Vet and he said 2cc of penicillin and 1cc of B-Complex that night,in the morning and again that eve. For a total of 3 shots each. It worked and she quit the bobbing. They had been in the barn for 2 months,since they were born as out temps were well below zero at night. Around March 8th it got warm and I turned them out to eat in the pasture. Was also told to cut the feed off because at 2 months they would eat over a lb each. I noticed she was doing it again last night. We have 11 babies and she is the only one doing this. She gets up and goes out and eats with her mom during the day and comes to the barn at diff times during the day. So last night I started a treatment of 2cc pen and 2cc B-Comp every 6 hrs. It has been 24 hours of this and she is still doing the head bob. Poop is fine, not near as playful-like none at all. Eyes might be a little glazed but she can see. These shots were given SQ as I don know how to give a muscle shot. Im at my wits end and she was our best Doeling and would hate to lose her. I checked the Mothers milk which didn't stick, wasn't watery and not lumpy. She is weaning the baby and there was not much. I have no other ideas or what to do? Have you got anything for me to do? Thinking of giving the B-Comp orally and I think 5 doses of penicillin is enough. but don't know. Also gave yogurt with probiotics tonight too. Thanks Rick

Answer
HI Rick,
First of all SQ injections are fine in most cases  so not to worry.. even my vet doesn't like to use IM IM injections.

Not sure what you mean by this: (Was also told to cut the feed off because at 2 months they would eat over a lb each.)

I suspect the vet is  thinking either goat polio (Polioencephalomalacia) or  Listeriosis.
IF goat polio -  and caught quickly, a few  injections of thiamine usually does the trick - regular B complex does not have enough thiamine in it to do the trick unless large amounts are injected - so for  thiamine  you would want to use 'Fortified B Vitamin complex' which  contains 100mgs/ml of B1 (Thiamine) as opposed to regular b complex only having 12.5mgs/ml

Thiamine is the only thing that will reverse goat polio -

Now, if he is thinking Listeriosis-  which is similar in symptoms but much more difficult to treat - it requires,  PennG, Thiamine and Dex- (which is a vet RX (prescription only med)

Listeriosis Treatment is a bit different than for polio - for a 50 lb goat would be :A 50lb goat requires 3ccs of PennG every 6 hours - a 100lb goat 6ccs, thimaine  for a 50lb goat would be 3ccs of 200mg/ml thiamine every 6 hours and  1.5 ccs of dex every 6 hours

Here is the best article I have  seen for  Listeriosis and goat polio - read it - it is very thorough
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html

You need to get to a feed store and get the "fortified" B complex, this is what to look for  - http://goat-link.com/content/view/172/168 this  has more thiamine in it for her..
If she makes no improvement  by tomorrow I'd seek the help of another vet  

Goats

Goatlady