Hi I have a small goat herd (20 does) and in an attempt to have kids ready for my local maket I would like to breed now how ever the bucks have been out withthe does now for over a week and I have not seen any action. My question is, is it possible to breed this time of year in northern south dakota?

HI Bob,
Forgive my tardiness - there was some sort of glitch where I never received a notice of  question pending here at AllExperts

It depends on the breed of goat- some are what is known as seasonal breeders - some  non seasonal -  dairy goats for instance are more seasonal - typically breeding season falling between July and Feb - pygmies, nigerians, boers can breed any time of the year -

Usually when a buck is with the does he will bring them into season with the odors he produces -  BUT I can tell you  many times  they will breed at night  and you never see it.

Are the girls still flagging their tails? Squatting to pee for the boys?  Are the boys chasing the girls?  butting heads over them? talking to them?

This is my article on breeding:

and an excerpt from  the article:
The Actual Breeding Goat

This is the time Everyone has been waiting so impatiently for!
You have decided which buck to breed to which doe. You have your calendar in front of you so you know when your kidding dates will happen. Everyone concerned is in tip-top condition.

What to expect:

The buck will approach the doe when first placed with in with her.
   He will paw at her, paw the ground and make some really guttural vocalizations.
   He will pee on his face and curl his lip up in the air as he holds his head upwards.
   His penis will extend out of the sheath and he will spray his front legs and face (and you if you are in the way).
   He will saddle up to the doe and rub his face on her face, shoulders, back and butt.
   If the doe is not quite ready she may run from him.
   If she is ready she will return the favors by rubbing on him and squatting to pee for him. (This shows him she has chosen him for her buck, she may or may not be quite ready to stand for him at this point.)
   The buck will stick his face under the stream of urine and then raise his head and curl his lip.
   The buck will also flap his tongue at her and this can look really silly but please don't laugh at him. He takes this quite seriously and you would not want to break his spirit or make him feel stupid.
   If both are ready, he will mount her - sometimes while she stands still and sometimes on the move.
   He will throw his head back as he ejaculates and then dismount her. IF she has been successfully bred, she will crunch up (much like a dog who is defecating) and hold this position for a moment. (This is because the penis actually goes into her far enough to touch the cervix and this gives her a small cramp.)
   After a successful breeding he may or may not act "romantic" toward her. He may want to re-breed her.

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University