Goats/Experienced doe not milking

Question
QUESTION: Ok...the only thing I haven't done is an actual mastitis test but teats don't feel hot or lumpy occasionally (not today) and everything else is normal.  She gets about a cup of beet pulp and a cup of alfalfa pellets at milking time.  She still won't allow the babies to nurse unless held but right now we are only milking once a day.  We are going to worm her tonight and start milking twice a day tomorrow.  We've had very cold temps here so haven't been able to leave babies with her much.  She just completed a 5 day of penicillin treatment so I'm still hopeful.  Also...she didn't raise kids last year...she aborted at about 3-4 months (just a guess by fetus size) any other suggestions?

ANSWER: Hi Terri,

Oh if this is her first real  mom time.. then I suppose she is like many first time moms who do not want the kids to nurse. I didn't realize she aborted before. Has she had kids  nurse from her in the past?  Some does are funny about it..
I still think I'd do the mastitis test.. just in case.. I'd rather  you be able to rule it out even if the udder is not feverish or lumpy. In the meantime, I think warm compresses to help  the let down, and massage. Let me  know how she does..

QUESTION: not first time mom...she has kidded every year..last year was the first time she didn't have live babies to nurse.  This is the first time she's been testy about it.  I'm tying it to the delay in dropping the afterbirth.  I'll call vet tomorrow about mastitis test.  thanks for the help.  I'll let you know.

Answer
Terri,
Oh I'm sorry It sounded like the  kids last year were her only others -
I think it's a good idea for the mastitis testing -  and yes you are probably correct -

Vitamin A deficiency
Selenium deficiency
Iodine deficiency
Vitamin E deficiency

can all cause  retained afterbirth - I wonder if there isn't a tiny bit of it still inside,, which could be causing a low grade infection. Infections with organisms such as toxoplasmosis, leptospirosis, listeriosis, and chlamydiosis can all cause premature death of the fetus and result in a retained placenta as well. I would also ask him about these things.. to see the reason for the aborted fetuses and retained afterbirth -  he may have another idea all together that may support the reason for her not milking.  

Goats

Goatlady