Goats/My goat

Hi I have a goat that is only a week old she is bottle fed and the first couple of feedings she fed well but now she is not eating as much and has bloddy stool she was born as the last of triplets. she is being fed 3 times a day with her moms milok for now. I am very worried as this is my first time raising newbron goats. Please respond
From David

HI David;
Has she always been drinking mom's milk or at any time was she on milk replacer? 3 bottles a day is not enough bottles per day and you may be giving her too much at one time, better to give  more bottles with less in them  per feeding. I have a feeding schedule  sample on my website here: http://goat-link.com/content/view/94/76/

Guideline for Bottle Baby Dairy Goat Feeding Schedule
Pygmy and Nigerian Goat Baby Amounts in [ ]:

* Day one- 2-4oz. [1-3] (per feeding) colostrum, every 2-3 hours.
   * Day two- 3 oz. [2-3] (per feeding) colostrum if you have it or whole milk, 8-10 times a day
   * Day three- 4 oz.[3] (per feeding) colostrum if you have it or whole milk, 8 times a day
   * Day four- 6oz. [4-5] (per feeding) whole milk, 7-8 times a day.
   * Week One - 6-8oz [4-5] (per feeding) whole milk, 7-8 times a day.
   * For the next 2 weeks-6-8oz.[4-6] (per feeding) whole milk, 6 times a day.
   * For the next 2 months-10-12 oz.[6-8] (per feeding)whole milk, 4-5 times a day.
   * For the next 1 month or 6 weeks-10-12 oz. [6-8] (per feeding)whole milk, 3 times a day.
   * 10-12 oz. [8-10] (per feeding) once a day for the next 2 months.

This is JUST a guideline- Adjust as needed - start with the recommended amount and feel the baby's tummy- Stop when it feels full but not tight- measure what is left in the bottle and feed what the baby ate- as the baby grows add to that amount according to size.
When dealing with larger babies and babies over 2 weeks of age you can go by baby weight. Figure 15% of the kid's weight in milk spread over a 24 hour period. A 10lb kid "could " get away with 4 feedings at 6 ounces each totaling 24 ounces which is about 15% of the body weight in milk- a 15lb kid would need a total of 36oz a day in 9 ounce feedings 4 times per day- this again is a guideline and needs to be increased gradually. Any time you bottle feed a young kid under 2 weeks old it is ideal if possible to offer smaller feedings more often but in the case of working parents this may not always be possible.

As for blood in the stool, my guess is a tear in the rectum due to straining perhaps? He is too young for coccidiosis which is  typically what we look toward with blood in the stool. It could be ecoli - http://goat-link.com/content/view/187/29  which is treated with Neomycn Sulfate  found at feed stores -

I'd wait to see if it clears up on it's own first. A Day or 2 - if not get some neomycin sulfate and follow package directions - and use this guide to  regulate her feedings  to be more natural - 3 feedings is easier for us, but  hard on their digestion - we want to mimick mom's feedings.  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University