Goats/Goat Not Drinking

Hello, Donna. I asked you last year about some dehorning infections in my baby goats and I'm pretty sure you saved them a lot of grief and pain. Thank you so much for that.

One of those babies was killed a few days ago, and my surviving goat hasn't been doing too great. I wasn't home at the time, but I know that my neighbor had left him with his dead brother for a few hours alone. Since then, he hasn't been the same. He wasn't physically harmed by the dog. He only eats when I'm with him, but he has only had a few sips of water in the past four days. I'm extremely concerned that he's becoming dehydrated. I've changed his water multiple times, changed the bucket, but nothing has tempted him to drink. I don't know what to do, at this point, I'll do anything for him. Is there anything I can do for this depression? I NEED him to drink something. Thank you so much in advance.

He sounds definitely depressed/still in shock too.  You can use Pulsatilla, a homeopathic medicine, for this - most supplement/natural food stores carry this.  Five pellets dissolved in a little hot water given once and again in 2 hours and the following day at the same schedule usually helps.  You may have to orally drench him with electrolytes to keep his system hydrated.  Hope this helps - feel free to give me a call too at 360-742-8310 if you'd like - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County