I am banding young goats and I was wondering how much of the Tetanus Anti-toxin to give them. Do I give them the 1500 units per goat or just 1CC per goat? Thank you for your help.
Mo Cox

HI Mo,
Depends on the size/age of the goat - I band at 6 months of age - (This is my article on castration - http://goat-link.com/content/view/20/87/ )
which is the optimal age for castration -
I use about 1/3 of the vial, it holds approx 4ccs -  and  then use the rest of it for follow up injections - - Remember to check this daily for any redness, inflammation, infection etc-
Tetanus Anti-toxin will provide 7 to 10 day protection- give a second injection in 7 days and I always give a third in 7 to  10 more days.
The 1/2 cc  for kids and 1cc for adults found on far too many websites is incorrect. :(

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University