Goats/oddbaby goat

my friend had twin dwarf goats about 6 weeks old. the little female is full of energy. The little male is very quiet. He doesn't seem to have good balance. when he gets bumped into he falls over and lays on his side. He is growing normally seems healthy and happy. just very clumsy

Hi Marianne,
I think your friend may be equating clumsy with weakness - I will bet the little guy is not getting his share of the milk from mom - that his sister is beating him to the punch and getting it all or most of it.. esp if he is smaller..
I would tell her to watch him eat.. is he eating as many times and getting his belly full when he does eat? is mom kicking him off or the sister butting him out of the way?  
ALso I would give him daily nutri-drench - it comes in a pump bottle and you use 2 pumps in the mouth.. a couple times a day.. she may have to supplement bottle s in between feedings.. also I would ask the vet for a BO-Se injection for this little guy for possible WMD - it is vet RX so not available to folks to buy.. but if you are in a selenium deficient area.. very well could be white muscle disease (WMD)- it only takes about 1/10cc injected SQ  to the little guy
ALSO Important.. check him for lice.. lice can make them weak and eventually kill them..
look on the belly for straw colored bugs  on him.. or wear a dark shirt and hold him for 10-15 minutes.. then look at the shirt.. are there tiny bugs on it? Use topical Ivomec POUR ON http://goat-link.com/content/view/180/168/ for lice. Have them been dewormed? What is the poop like?  They are at the age  they can get heavy wormload and coccidiosis  and either can kill them..

What tells me weakness is the inability to get up after falling down or the falling down when  getting bumped.. , he should not fall over that easy.. and if he does  he should be able to get himself up easily.. if not he is weak.. it looks like bad balance.. let me know how he does after she  checks him for these things..  I'd take a fecal  sample to the vet to check for cocci and wormload  it is the only way to know for sure.. and get the BO-Se shot..  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University