Goats/Pink Eye in goats

Hello, about 2 weeks ago, our pregnant doe (3 years old)ended up with pink eye. We do not go anywhere with our goats, we are a closed herd, and no new animals have been on our property.  We treated her with penicillin, quarantined her, and it SLOWLY went away. During that time, another of our does (1 y.o.) got pink eye, we quarantined her and treated her, and she is now fine. The first doe I mentioned kidded 2 bucklings, as scheduled,a few days ago with no problems other than the bucklings being rather small kids.  Now, our 2 y.o. buck, who has NO contact whatsoever with our does at this time, appears to have pink eye! How could he have gotten it?? We plan on treating him the same way, of course, but I am very confused as to how we are getting this in the herd. They have clean stalls/lean-tos, they have very large pastures to graze, and we keep up with minerals, good feed practices, and worming when necessary too. All animals are acting fine and eating fine, no animals are down. The 3 y.o. doe and buck are Oberhaslis, the 1 y.o. doe is an Alpine. We live in Virginia. Any advice on how to stop this would be so appreciated!

HI Rebecca,
Pinkeye can be brought on by stress . . . stress from moving/transporting the goat, stress resulting from improper nutrition, stress caused by severe weather or dramatic weather changes, or stress arising from an underlying illness (abortion, pneumonia) . Stress reduces the immune system's ability to suppress the outbreak of Pinkeye and it is highly contagious - and can be spread by flies and by the tearing that happens when they eye is infected, it rubs on another goats face and there you have it - I have an article on pinkeye-   Pinkeye can be spread by direct or indirect contact with infected animals or body fluids from infected animals -  having pinkeye is not a slam on you - it happens.. I am currently battling a Very severe case myself - the eye has ulcerated already  in spite of my  medicating  both with Tylan200 then triple antibiotic ointment, now I am using a vet Rx prescribed med (Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Bacitracin Zinc Opthalmic Ointment)-  pennG s  not the best  med to use,  better to try tylan200 or LA200 in the eye like eye drops   or better yet the triple  antibiotic Eye ointment - in addition  you  should  Dose tylan200  at 5cc/100 pounds bodyweight and inject SQ daily for 5 days - all you can do is treat as  symptoms appear - keep a look out for each goat for tearing and start treating with eye drops of tylan200
I'm sorry this is going on, believe me .. I know.. I attached a photo of my 13 yr old who I am currently dealing with  :(  - so don't feel bad .  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University