Goats/Pregnant doe not eating much

Question
Hello, I have a pregnant doe, she was bred in November, and she went from her lively self to reserved and uninterested in food fast. She was also tremouring slightly. Her bowels were normal until we started a drench. Yesterday she had very runny stools. Today is the third day she is not feeling well. My husband and I suspected pregnancy toxemia and gave her a drench of warm water and brown sugar, about 1/4 cup to 3 cups of water. she wouldn't drink it, so we gave it as a drench. we have done this every day and she does seem to be a little more interested in hay, though not vigorously eating. She is not interested in grain or her loose mineral. She nibbled at the mineral yesterday and at some baking soda. We have her confined.

Now I would think her case would be independent of this next one, but perhaps not. Our buck, who has seen depressed since we moved out the gals, is also not eating. He is drinking water, not interested in grain and has retired to a little hayloft. this happened right after our other sickish goat escaped in there with him for a half hour of so. My husband said he was very interested in her.

I am not sure of the bucks vaccinations. The doe was vaccinated from her previous owner about a year and a half ago. They have both been dewormed recently and the doe has bright pink eye lids and the bucks are slightly lighter pink.

I have not taken their temps. I do not have a vet thermometer.

Help! :) Thank you!

Answer
Hi Erika,
Typically the first thing that comes to mind with loss of appetite esp in this weird weather is pneumonia - it usually has other symptoms but it "can" be present without a cough or runny nose, it will  show signs of scours and  lack of interest in food and  they will stand off hanging their heads tails down back usually hunched. A vet thermometer is not needed - just a regular  digital thermometer from Walmart is fine, works just the same. Is your buck all alone? he really needs a pen mate .. they get lonely - I have never kept a buck alone- put another buck , a  wether or a doe who is bred or you don't mind being bred  in with him.. I have my boys  together all the time  and  at times they have wethers in there with them.
As far as trying to treat pregnancy toxemia,  you can get Propylene Glycol at the feed stores usually - it works pretty quick if this is the case - but this combined with the buck.. I wonder if this is in fact not the issue but like I said, pneumonia.  Be careful with drenching that you do not  accidentally  get it down into her lungs - keep her head level and rub her throat.. it's a real PIA to do but worth the extra effort. I'd take the temps using a digital thermometer so you can see if they are running a fever  - if you have Tylan200 on hand I might start treating with that  -I use 1cc/25lbs injected SQ  twice a day. Grain is difficult to digest which is why when a goat is sick it knows to stay away from it - offer green leaves if you have any  like from elm or maple trees..  fresh grass  and hay and maybe cut up bananas or apples cut up.. When is her due date? April  something.. is she fat? Here is information on toxemia: http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/U/UNP-0106/UNP-0106.pdfm

Goats

Goatlady