the person I just bought my goats from has been feeding the horse feed. I talked to someone and they told me that something in the feed could kill them is that true.

HI Travis -
Not exactly sure what you mean by "horse feed" but if you are talking about  pellets or some sort of concentrated bagged feed - too much of ANY kind can kill them - goats need hay foremost (or hay and pasture in summer)  - bagged feed is  for milkers who need to build up milk supply and in regulated amounts or as a treat - or for conditioning, but again in small amounts - figure NO More than 1/2 lb per goat of 100lbs or more - Now if this was medicated feed I have no idea what medication could be in it so - I cannot answer that if it is a medicated feed - but off hand I cannot think of anything that will kill a goat in bagged feed. Typically  you want to get  cow feed for goats if you cannot get goat feed - it is more suitable for goats than horse feed as it is made for ruminants - cows and goats are both ruminants, horses are mono stomach animals and they digest things differently.
Here is my article on how to feed goats:
and info on how a goat digests food:
THAT being said.. feed with Rumensin or monensin can kill or cause permanent kidney damage to a horse if they eat cattle or goat feed with these meds in it- maybe this is where they are getting information?
Maybe they are thinking of the copper - sheep can NOT have additional copper in the diet as it is fatal, but goats can  and do need copper in the diet, too little and this also can cause  nutritional issues for them- horse feed typically has copper in it -so maybe they got confused?

ALSO read the bag-  does it say "Not to be fed to ruminants"  if so do not feed it to them..

Billies and wethers (castrated  males) should never get  much  of any sort of concentrated feed as too much can cause urinary calculi which can be fatal- very small amounts for treats - like a handful is plenty for them.  Kids too..  until they are 6 months of age, the rumen is not yet fully developed and concentrated feed is very difficult to digest - so not much for them either.  And for sick goats- hold off on the  feed like this - again difficult to digest.  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University