Goats/Mastitis

Question
My doe gave birth to twins march 13.  One was pretty much left for dead and we brought him in to warm it took 6 hours.  It was touch and go for two weeks.  He only weighed 1 1/2 pounds.  He is now healthy and happy.  His sister is twice as big and was nursing on mom until this past Sunday.  

The  mom lost one teat  during washing it just fell away.  We have tried treating it as best we could. The kid was only nursing on the one side until she just mutilated that teat til it was bloody.  We have since removed her from the mom and have been treating her for mastitis.  First of all it takes 30 minutes to get her on the milking station and then she kicks, lays down and tries to bite.  I know she is in pain.  We have given her drenches of vitamin B,C, E as well as electrolytes, sage, used cabbage leaves, mint oil, anti-biotic cream, utter balm and washed her with a iodine solution with mint oil and warm compresses to try and milk her out.  She drips milk all day but the one side cannot get her milked out.  Both teats are bleeding her bag is now red.  She has had 8 treatments of PenG, three of Today.  I cannot dry off her teats because they drip constantly.

I have Tomorrow but now I don't know if I should use it or not?  Today she was not eating and she has gotten worse!  It may be time to euthenize her?    Each time we Put her on the station the next time is  even more difficult!!

We have a clean shed, clean water, high grade hay and grain, she has  her shots and wormed.  

We purchased her in July  from a goat farm when she was 6 months old.  

Any help would be appreciated as we are at our wits end!

Both kids are now being bottle fed every 4 hours.  

Thank you,

Jaye

Answer
HI Jaye,
This sounds like gangrene mastitis to me- You should have a vet check it and  put her on a medication schedule for it- he also may be able to amputate the udder - which can  fairly easily be done-  
While the doe will no longer be able to be milked, it can save her life - there is no time to waste with this disease -  call the vet today

I know of a decent pictorial article on it - to show you http://ranchoelchivito.blogspot.com/

ALSO information:

Mastitis, Black  (Gangrenous mastitis, Blue bag )
Causative Agent:

Clinical Signs: The skin just ahead of the udder becomes swollen and puffy.  It is cool to the touch and may fill with fluid.  There may be red, watery secretions from the udder.    Eventually skin may turn black and slough off.

Treatment: Successful treatment may be achieved if the goat is treated while the secretions are just blood tinged.  There is less hope of recovery if coolness, pitting edema, loss of skin sensation and a water red secretion are present.  

A study on 81 goats in the Sudan showed 91% completely  recovered using Oxytetracycline IV 5 mg/kg, and intramammary at 426 mg daily times 5 days.  (Smith advises that Cephapirin may also be used.)  A sterile teat cannula was used to drain the fluid, and 40 mg. of Furosemide was given every day for 5 days. An antiseptic cream was also applied to the udder.

Amputation of the udder may also be considered.  See Smith, Goat Medicine at P. 480-481 for procedure.

Goats

Goatlady