how can you tell if your goat has mites?

Here is a good overview of mites: http://www.goatbiology.com/mites.html

You can get a skin scraping and look under the microscope to see what it looks like. This works with lice. Often there is a crustiness with mites. And as the link above notes, it also depends on where the problem is. One of my bucks got mites and they were inside his legs and the scrotum. I got rid of them with a thick coating of vaseline. Also can do subcutaneous ivermectin.

good luck and let me know if you have further questions.

Cheryl K. Smith

Goat Health Care; basic goat management. Author of Goat Health Care (2009) and Raising Goats for Dummies (2010)

Publisher of Goat Health Care, www.goathealthcare.com. I have raised miniature dairy goats since 1998. I published Ruminations, the Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Dairy Goat magazine for 7 years and mentor other goat owners, as I was mentored for my first years.

American Goat Society (AGS), The Miniature Goat Registry (TMGR)

Raising Goats for Dummies (author) Goat Health Care (Editor and Author), Ruminations, Dairy Goat Journal, Issues in Law and Medicine, Topics in Health Records Management, Oregon Bar Bulletin, Midwifery Today, Countryside

BS, Health Information Administration JD, Law