Goats/4 month old with polio

Well we lost our battle Mothers Day night. She was just going down hill too much. Then she would have a good day and eat, then maybe not eat much for a few days. I even mixed up a bottle of Milk, corn syrup and an egg on Saturday. She ate some but I felt like she got a little in her lungs so I waited awhile and fed her a little several times. Sunday she did not respond to the Thiamine at all and just layed all day. I had her outside where it was really nice. She seemed to be in no pain and died in her sleep with her head layed back on her front leg. Was a hard loss as she was the best Doe we have ever had born here and lke all the others I have picked to be a winner for the kids in 4-H she was it for this year. I really hated to put her thru all that and loose her, but I had 2 Goat Vets and the Experts and we just couldn't fix it. Thanks for the help, Rick McWhirt.

Thanks for letting me know. I know it was a hard loss. It is so difficult to figure out when to let go, or whether you can turn things around. I have been through this so many times (although thankfully not lately). You did your best for her. Take care.

Cheryl K. Smith

Goat Health Care; basic goat management. Author of Goat Health Care (2009) and Raising Goats for Dummies (2010)

Publisher of Goat Health Care, I have raised miniature dairy goats since 1998. I published Ruminations, the Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Dairy Goat magazine for 7 years and mentor other goat owners, as I was mentored for my first years.

American Goat Society (AGS), The Miniature Goat Registry (TMGR)

Raising Goats for Dummies (author) Goat Health Care (Editor and Author), Ruminations, Dairy Goat Journal, Issues in Law and Medicine, Topics in Health Records Management, Oregon Bar Bulletin, Midwifery Today, Countryside

BS, Health Information Administration JD, Law