Goats/4 month with what we think is polio

Question
Had to start our conversation over, because I couldn't figure out how to respond to your questions. She is eating, but not a lot. Seems depressed, stays by herself a lot and she will follow Mom sometimes. Drinks lots of water. Have been doing the Dex for 2 days. Been doing the pen g, b-comp and thiamine every 6 hours too. Seems all alone in the world. I let her outside all day and put her up by her self at night. Easier for me to do the 2am medicines. Thanks Rick

Answer
Let me know when she seems to be improving. Do you have Goat Health Care? On page 151 is a recommendation that you have water tested for sulfur and if it is high, find another water source. This can apparently interfere with thiamine. Also if you start feeding grain again, it should be added very slowly to avoid increasing thiaminases-producing bacteria in the rumen. I don't know where you live, but they can also get it from bracken fern. I had loaned a buck to some people on the coast in Oregon and both of their goats died from eating bracken fern. So if that is a possibility, look for it to make sure there is none accessible.

Because this has been going on for a while, she may never get back to 100%. I would be interested in hearing how she does, though. I know you have worked really hard to help her recover.

Goats

Cheryl K. Smith