Goats/Mastitis

Question
Hi Donna , i have a 2 year old Lamancha / Alpine , in full milk . Last evening I decided to check a few of my girls for mastitis with CMT KIT , I was very surprised to see a positive reading . The solution became thick very fast . Thinking the solution may be no good as it froze once I made a new batch , and still the same reading , positive . I still cannot believe it is right as she has no symptoms , no hot udder no swelling or blood , no lumpy stuff and she doesn't get upset when i'm milking her . Her milk is very creamy and rich , and I wonder if i'm getting a reaction to the fat content in her milk . I chilled it tasted it , it seems fine no odor . What are your thoughts on this ? Should I believe the readings and start antibiotics ? Thanks .

Answer
I never have use the CMT kit as it does give false positives.  Sometimes just a high protein level of the milk will give a false positive.  I go with the milk - starting to get thick or lumpy or flecks of blood, then I start the antibiotics.  Sounds like you are definitely on top of it so if you see any symptoms you should have time to treat with little or no symptoms going on to full blown mastitis.  Hope that helps - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres