Goats/Sheeps vs goats

1. Which animal has the more delicious milk? Sheep or goat?

2. From these two animals, which animal produces more milk?

3. Which animal is easier to take care for?

Hello.  The following information below is from an article I read that gives a good amount of information as concerns sheep or goat milk.  

PROS – Goat’s milk is closest in structure to human milk. The fat globules are smaller which aids in digestion. In a recent study of infants allergic to cow’s milk found that 93% of them were able to drink goat’s milk with absolutely no allergic reaction! The ease of digestibility is due to the high amount of medium-chain fatty acids, and has 35% compared to cow’s 17%. Goat’s milk also contains less lactose (milk sugars) than cow’s milk which helps those who suffer from lactose-intolerance. Goat’s milk is slightly alkaline, unlike cow’s milk which is slightly acidic.
CONS – Some people dislike the taste of goat’s milk, and we agree that certain breeds of goats can have musky tasting milk. We own Nigerian Dwarfs, which produce a mild taste, almost identical to cow’s milk. The only drawback is that they are small.  Small = less milk. Because we only get about 1-2 quarts a day from one goat, we need about 2-3 goats to feed our family of four. Not too bad, but you’d definitely need a lot of Nigerian Dwarf’s to “feed the masses”. Read my Guide to Raising & Milking Goats here.

PROS – While there’s some debate on the actual amounts of fat soluble vitamins in sheep’s milk, they still produce the CREAMIEST milk, and are famous for the deliciously succulent cheese their milk makes. They are efficient producers, only needing 100% cheap grass (no alfalfa or grain) to produce rich milk. They, like goats, have naturally homogenized milk, which means smaller fat globules and more medium-chain fatty acids. This aids in digestion just like goat’s milk.
CONS – Sheep are instinctively natural prey, which means they have difficulty “relaxing” while being milked. Trying to milk a sheep is difficult because if you scare your sheep, even slightly, their bodies will produce adrenaline which counteracts the “letting down hormone” oxytocin and the subsequent production of milk."

Other information would be that there are specific dairy sheep that can have large udders and therefore give more milk and easier to milk.  Generally you are not going to get as much milk from a non dairy sheep as you would most goats.  Sheep milk has about 18% fat which makes it extremely creamy in texture and therefore better used for cheese than drinking.  I have never tasted sheep milk but understand it is "an acquired taste" which to me means it has a taste to it that not everyone would enjoy.  Goat breeds also give different flavor of milk, most give a "goaty" flavor except for the Oberhasli breed which gives milk that tastes like cow milk/no goaty flavor.  

To answer your questions -
1.  "Delicious" flavor depends on a person's individual taste - as an example, I don't like any goat milk except what comes from the Oberhasli breed.

2.  Generally a dairy goat should give you more milk unless you are able to specifically get a "dairy" sheep.

3.  Goats are browsers and generally like bushes, weeds, tree leaves.  Sheep are grazers and generally only like grass.  Sheep though can eat low quality grass and still give good milk as to fat content and with dairy sheep the amount of milk.

I hope this has helped.  Donna  

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County