Goats/swollen lower leg on goat .

Hi Donna , I have a 2 year old Saanen / Alpine , that has a very swollen lower front leg . She holds it up all the time and hobbles around on three legs . She is eating good and all else seems normal . I checked for a possible wound , maybe a nail or glass cut on her hoof , but I think it may be  a severe sprain or even a fracture . It is nice and straight , she doesn't like it touched at all , and if I press any she let's me know it hurts . Started her on Noramycin , active ingredient Oxytetracycline , Is there any more I should be doing ? Don't really think it is an infection as it isn't spreading past the lower limb .

Has her feed regimen changed recently?  Is the area warm or hot to touch? What is her temperature? Anything above 102.5 would indicate a fever and that would indicate an infection.  If she has been put on more or higher protein feed that could cause a laminitis.  This certainly could just be an injury.  Was she having difficulty with the leg before it became swollen?

I would start her on penicillin injectable at 3 cc per 100 pounds twice a day for 7 days - have you given intramuscular injections?  If not, use of the rear thigh muscles is best using a 20 gauge 1/2 inch length needle.  All antibiotics should be given intramuscularly.  At the same time as any antibiotic therapy the goat also must have probiotics - I use yogurt at one tablespoon for an adult goat - any flavor of yogurt - mix with a little water to thin so you can give as an oral drench, once a day while on antibiotics.  I would also start on human aspirin - one 325 mg human aspirin per 100 pound body weight given every 4 to 6 hours for pain and swelling - you need to crush the aspirin tablet(s) and dissolve in a little hot water, cool and give as an oral drench.  Let me know the answers to the above questions when convenient - thanks - Donna

PS I generally use only penicillin as my antibiotic of choice for all livestock (available over the counter at most all feed/farm stores).  Oxytetracycline is okay but many times does not cure the infection.  

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County