I've often heard that goat milk is better than cow milk, but 2nd to sheep milk. But a cousin of mine said that goat milk is pretty 'stinky' and has an artificial type of taste. I understand that goats are by nature pretty stinky animals but how do we remove this scent from goats and their milk?

Lonely goats can be a nuisance so what is the best size of a herd of goats? Is keeping a buck with the goats a good idea?

Goat milk is not "stinky" unless you raise the females with the males. My goats give great sweet milk.

You are mistaken that goats have a bad odor. Even the bucks  do not smell bad when it is not breeding season. Either do not keep bucks or keep them separate from the does. You can have just two does and they will be fine together. THen you need to know someone with a buck and pay for a breeding. It is a much better way to go unless you have a lot of goats.

Cheryl K. Smith

Goat Health Care; basic goat management. Author of Goat Health Care (2009) and Raising Goats for Dummies (2010)

Publisher of Goat Health Care, www.goathealthcare.com. I have raised miniature dairy goats since 1998. I published Ruminations, the Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Dairy Goat magazine for 7 years and mentor other goat owners, as I was mentored for my first years.

American Goat Society (AGS), The Miniature Goat Registry (TMGR)

Raising Goats for Dummies (author) Goat Health Care (Editor and Author), Ruminations, Dairy Goat Journal, Issues in Law and Medicine, Topics in Health Records Management, Oregon Bar Bulletin, Midwifery Today, Countryside

BS, Health Information Administration JD, Law