Goats/Cracked Hoof?

Thank you for taking the time to read my question! I'm a first time goat owner here and believe wen when I say I know I should have been more knowledgable before taking in two goats. Recently I noticed my male goat has developed and extremely swollen leg (all the way from his hoof basically to the point of his shoulder. I've checked him for cuts and broken bones but I can't seem to find anything. The only hing I noticed was that the bottom of his hoof was somewhat cracked. I really care about this guy so any help would
be fantastic. Thank you for reading this!

First thing is to trim his hooves to check for foot rot or a wound. (Unless you have done that.) It does sound like an infection, so I recommend that you treat him with an antibiotic before it goes further. (Unless you can afford to take him to a vet) You can get Biomycin over the counter at a feed store. The dosage is 5 ml per 100 lbs, every 48 hours injected subcutaneously. Give him a total of four injections. Also get some tetanus antitoxin and give him a shot of that, in case it is a closed wound.

Is this the only leg that is swollen?  Have you taken his temperature? Is he eating and drinking all right?

Cheryl K. Smith

Goat Health Care; basic goat management. Author of Goat Health Care (2009) and Raising Goats for Dummies (2010)

Publisher of Goat Health Care, www.goathealthcare.com. I have raised miniature dairy goats since 1998. I published Ruminations, the Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Dairy Goat magazine for 7 years and mentor other goat owners, as I was mentored for my first years.

American Goat Society (AGS), The Miniature Goat Registry (TMGR)

Raising Goats for Dummies (author) Goat Health Care (Editor and Author), Ruminations, Dairy Goat Journal, Issues in Law and Medicine, Topics in Health Records Management, Oregon Bar Bulletin, Midwifery Today, Countryside

BS, Health Information Administration JD, Law