Goats/Digestive problems

Question
QUESTION: We have a 9 year old Pygmy Doe. Her system has been off since the 2nd of June when the vet injected her knee and shoulder to hopefully help with the arthritis. She was put under, (about 4 hours) for this proceedure and layed somewhat on her side for 10 or 15 minutes. She started out with clumpy poop, like dog poop that has evolved into a very small amount of pudding like poop. She was very bloated at first, not so much now. We have given her milk of magnesia, probios, 911, banamine (1/2 cc a day)and just last Thursday the first dose for coccidia. We had her stool tested and it showed high levels of cocidia. She eats better after we give her the 911 and/or probios. She chews her cud rarely as far as we can tell. Gave her some yogurt and probios this morning and she ate some hay shortly after. Really concerned with the sall amounts pudding like poop. She doesn't take any of this voluntarily, so we are causing her stress daily. Would love some advise on what direction we should take to get her back on track, she's the sweetest little goat and we love her dearly, please help

ANSWER: Dog like poop can indicate worms.  Most goats have coccidia in their systems.  Only if there is green diarrhea is the coccidia an issue.  Have you wormed her and with what? Have not heard of "911", what does this have in it?  After her procedure was she up and walking well?  It is possible she has two things going on.  Pneumonia after any time out with anesthesia is certainly possible, and that is even if you are not hearing wheezing and rales/noises in her lungs.  The pudding like poop sometimes comes with pneumonia.  What is her temperature currently - measurement please/thanks. What type of feed do you have her on currently?  Let me know re my questions and I will get back to you with some advice - thanks - Donna

QUESTION: Thank you for getting back to me, she was wormed within the last 2 weeks with ivermecten. Her fecal came back negative for worms. Her tempurature was taken last week and was 101.5. She has been eating field grass, orchard grass, offerings from the garden like kale, lettuce and snow peas. LMF Digest 911, our Vet says it is only minerals and should not be having a significant response. Our feed store 'consultant' says there is an appetite stimulant and she has seen significant responses with her animals. She is friskie at times and is still chewing once in a while, not as much as the other goats. Thank you, hope I've given you enough info. The vet is planning on a rumin exchange today. It's so hard to tell if we should stop torturing / treating and let her recover on her own.

Answer
HI there - thanks for the info.  Re the "appetite stimulant" if this is propylene glycol then that can be toxic to goats.  Re the rumen exchange these are usually not indicated unless the rumen is dead.  If she were my goat I would start her on penicillin injectable at 3 cc/100 pounds twice a day, given intramuscularly in the thigh, for 5 days.  Would also start her on a bland diet of general livestock pelleted grain, probiotics (yogurt works well), and regular grass hay or orchard grass.  Would also give her vitamin B complex (human type is fine/crush tablets and dissolve in a little hot water and give orally twice a day).  Re the rumen exchange, another item is that if the issue is that the goat is suffering from an infection a rumen exchange will just go down hill again.  Hope this helps - feel free to call me if you'd like at 360-742-8310  Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres