Goats/goat's eye damage

Hi Donna,
It looks like I have damaged unintentionally one of the eyes of our pregnant diary goat when tried to apply iodine on a heavily bleading spot where the horn came off. I poured it on a damaged area, but did not notice how some of the iodine had got into her left eye. We have washed her eye with water as thoroughly as we could, but today she is still not opening the eye, and it is very teary, very little mucus forming (almost none). I have opened up the eyelids - there are no spots on the eye itself, I am not sure where exactly did iodine substance landed in her eye, but apparently it causes pain as she is trying to find the darkest corner, she is refusing to eat, and mistrusts everyone. I would very much appreciate if you could give me advice on what is the best approach in this case. The have coming long weekend and veterinary clinics having big animal practices are closed for the next 3 days.

Hello - accidents do happen.   The mistrust and liking the dark is from the eye pain/injury. Was this 100% iodine or a dilution?  Full strength iodine can burn the eye and its membranes.  Glad you were able to rinse thoroughly. Rinsing the eye out with human eye solution (for dryness and irritation) might help. Would do this every 4 hours to keep the eye hydrated and cleansed out. This certainly would not hurt.  She may indeed be in pain and for this would give her human aspirin at one 325 mg aspirin per 75 pounds body weight every 4 to 6 hours - the tablet(s) should be crushed and dissolved in a little hot water, cooled and given orally.  Might also give her homeopathic Pulsatilla (at supplement stores) - five pellets dissolved in a little hot water, cooled and all liquid and leftover pellets given orally once then again in 2 hours and repeat again for a second day - this helps with anxiety.  If she is not drinking would orally drench her with electrolytes to keep her hydrated.  If she is not eating would give her vitamin B complex (human kind) 4 tablets crushed and dissolved in a little hot water along with probiotics to keep her rumen working.  Offering some treats to gain her trust again might help - pretzels, peanuts, chips, vanilla cookies, etc.  If this were a cow I would probably patch the eye, but with goats this usually causes them more anxiety.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County