Goats/goat in heat

we adopted a mommie goat and her daughter in feb of this year, i have read that goats only come into season in the fall, but my mommie, thelma, is showing all the signs of being in season, she is constantly crying, rubbing up against her daughter, who is i think 2 yrs of age, (they were abused goats, so the details and ages are kind of sketchy), she doesnt act sick, has an appetite, plays and is always on alert, can she be in season?

The earliest I have seen a goat in heat, here in Oregon, was July. And if you have no bucks around, it is unlikely. I would suggest that she is a hermaphrodite, except for the fact that she has a daughter. Maybe just some kind of dominance behavior? Or a hormonal imbalance?

Cheryl K. Smith

Goat Health Care; basic goat management. Author of Goat Health Care (2009) and Raising Goats for Dummies (2010)

Publisher of Goat Health Care, www.goathealthcare.com. I have raised miniature dairy goats since 1998. I published Ruminations, the Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Dairy Goat magazine for 7 years and mentor other goat owners, as I was mentored for my first years.

American Goat Society (AGS), The Miniature Goat Registry (TMGR)

Raising Goats for Dummies (author) Goat Health Care (Editor and Author), Ruminations, Dairy Goat Journal, Issues in Law and Medicine, Topics in Health Records Management, Oregon Bar Bulletin, Midwifery Today, Countryside

BS, Health Information Administration JD, Law