Goats/None

Question
Hi. Can one goat produce milk for an entire year? How should one keep goats for milk production throughout the year?

Plus how much food does a normal goat eat per day?

Thanks.

Answer
Hi, Jem. If they have proper nutrition, goats can produce for more than a year. I have a goat that I have been milking for more than two years. I have not bred her again but just continued to milk. You just need to keep milking her regularly.

I do not not know how much food a goat eats in a day.One estimate I read was 2-4 pounds of hay, along with whatever they forage.  It helps to give several cups of grain twice a day to increase the milk. Here a link from one of my books that tells about feeding a goat (although it is aimed at the USA goat owners)

I hope this helps!

Goats

Cheryl K. Smith