Hi. Can one goat produce milk for an entire year? How should one keep goats for milk production throughout the year?

Plus how much food does a normal goat eat per day?

Hi, Jem. If they have proper nutrition, goats can produce for more than a year. I have a goat that I have been milking for more than two years. I have not bred her again but just continued to milk. You just need to keep milking her regularly.

I do not not know how much food a goat eats in a day.One estimate I read was 2-4 pounds of hay, along with whatever they forage.  It helps to give several cups of grain twice a day to increase the milk. Here a link from one of my books that tells about feeding a goat (although it is aimed at the USA goat owners)

I hope this helps!

Cheryl K. Smith

Goat Health Care; basic goat management. Author of Goat Health Care (2009) and Raising Goats for Dummies (2010)

Publisher of Goat Health Care, www.goathealthcare.com. I have raised miniature dairy goats since 1998. I published Ruminations, the Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Dairy Goat magazine for 7 years and mentor other goat owners, as I was mentored for my first years.

American Goat Society (AGS), The Miniature Goat Registry (TMGR)

Raising Goats for Dummies (author) Goat Health Care (Editor and Author), Ruminations, Dairy Goat Journal, Issues in Law and Medicine, Topics in Health Records Management, Oregon Bar Bulletin, Midwifery Today, Countryside

BS, Health Information Administration JD, Law