Goats/Bot Fly larvea

QUESTION: ok.. we have 60 goats, 7 dogs. (I use goat meds on the dogs)

During the dry months we have ticks for days... and days.. and days...  (yes.. I have poultry and it helps)

During hte monsoon months we have mosquitos.. and from them we have a wierd symbiosis between a fly called Bot and a mosquito. The Fly catches the chupasangra and places two larva on the blood sucker and send the skeeter off to find a host.

Ok.. here is the issue.. I am trying to eliminate all water sources.. but.. in a monsoon zone.. there arent many places that are not constantly puddled or outright mud.

Here is the problem.. When I spray the animals to repel the skeeters it washes off with rain. And when I spray to kill the larva that enter the dermis I have mixed results.. most often the larva die internal and become infected. If I catch it soon enough I can express it and they are fine. but if I miss it, then it becomes a puss sack.

What can I do to support healing for goats who have a localized infection? I am as thorough as I can be to remove the carcass from the skin during cleaning.. but.. sometimes the infection lingers. I do not want to administer antibiotics because I would need to be pumping them full of it for 6 months a year.

The obvious answer that would work in a non monsoonal zone are not very effective here. As I am expressing between 5 and 10 bot fly larva every single day in the monsoon season. It gets old for the goats and for me. (getting splashed in the face with smelly puss is not enjoyable. lol :( ) (btw.. all the animals in this region have the same issue.. you should see the cattle and the street dogs... it is heartbreaking.

Do you have any ideas?

ANSWER: For both external and internal parasites we have used the following regimen for 28 years with much success - we are in a wet zone here in Washington State and others across the country as well as other countries also use this regimen with great success.  We use Zimectrin oral horse wormer and Safeguard oral horse wormer (also use this on the dogs) worming with one wormer once every 2 months then the next due date we switch to the other wormer.  The Zimectrin horse wormer has ivermectin in it and this transport (oral paste) works very well on goats and not only kills internal worms but also kills all external parasites.  During our wet Spring season and in the Fall wet season I sometimes use the Zimectrin every 2 to 4 weeks to be sure I am killing any external parasites (here it is Bot fly, mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, horse flies, regular flies).  You double the weight of the goat and use that measurement to find the dosing on the plunger where you then put the lock on and give orally to the goat - example is if my goat is 175 pounds then that is 350 pounds and I put the lock halfway in between the 250 and the 500 measurement on the plunger.  For goats who do not weigh enough to be at least at the 125 measurement, I give 1/2 inch of the wormer (squeeze it onto my finger and give it orally that way).  You cannot overdose a goat with either of these wormers and you can use either of these wormers for any production of goat starting at 2 months of age (for meat use I like to do this at least 30 days prior to slaughter and if you use the milk I like to give at least 96 hours before use of the milk for human consumption).

For your situation you may find that you need to use the Zimectrin horse wormer (which also is used in horses against the bot fly) every 2 weeks to keep the external predators away.  The generic brand of Zimectrin can be purchased on the internet for a much cheaper price too and they work just as well.  That is what I do - we are down this year from 75 to 35 goats (trying to drop our numbers so we can get away a little more often).  Do hope this helps - Donna

QUESTION: is there a concern with a build up of resistance in the parasites with a 2 week regimen?
(you mentioned)
"For your situation you may find that you need to use the Zimectrin horse wormer (which also is used in horses against the bot fly) every 2 weeks to keep the external predators away."

I do use Ivermectin (I use it orally although it is an inject-able) and also Fabendasol (the milky white wormer) alternatively.. but only once every three months. Or when I see bad poop.

I will have to check on the other, Safeguard, product.

I don't think I can order this type of thing from the states without a vet note. I will have to see if the local vet shop  will order for me. (just another disadvantage of living in "paradise". ")

Because you are only using this possible "2-week" regimen once in a while it should not create resistance.  The use of the Safeguard and Zimectrin back and forth every 2 months has never created resistance in the 28 years we have used this regimen.  We do fecal floats on the goats every few months to make sure we are not missing anything.  The ivermectin that is liquid/injectable and used orally does not ever have enough stay to keep it going through all the goat and to the skin area to kill the external parasites.  Fenbendazole is what is used in the Safeguard oral horse wormer.  The nice thing about the fenbendazole is that it also kills liver flukes, lung worms, and the barber pole worm.  The paste gets both these wormers to go through the goat and get where it needs to get.  Goats have a fast metabolism and that is what makes oral liquid wormers and injectables and even pour ons usually not acceptable for them.  

I like the every 2 month regimen as I keep any worms or parasites away before they cause issues.  Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County