Goats/Princess Pei Pei (1month old)

QUESTION: We noticed one of our kids was favoring her left front side. And she does not like to get up on all fours due to the discomfort. She screams with any pressure as she moves around.  I have felt the area.. basically it is the upper joint (knee) on the left front. It is swollen and warm to the touch. (btw.. this is about 3 days old now.. and the pain is still strong). It does not feel broken nor dislocated. But, I am unsure what it might be.

I am assuming that this is some trauma from playing with the other kids. But, it is effecting her ability to get up and suckle or forage.

Today we ground up 1/8th of a 325mg aspirin and mixed it with a little yoghurt and a little milk from mommy.As well as I have dosed her (last night and again today) with an inject-able that I get from my vet here in Costa Rica known as Analvet. I have dosed her twice... with .5cc at the site of the swelling.

Honestly.. we have been doing this for 4 years.. And we are learning as we go. The vets here in CR are mainly focuses on large livestock. Caprinos are not really understood it seems. So, I have been trying to learn and understand how to care for this type of injury.. but without good local support. So, please forgive me if I have already made some mistakes in treating Pei Pei.

Also, this morning we began to use a coconut oil and lavender topical to help with the pain.

Also, lastly.. she is separated from the other kids and such to protect from further injury.

Is there anything we are doing wrong? Or should do differently? Or something more that needs to be done.

Shalom, and thanks

ANSWER: What is her temperature?  Anything above 102.5 indicates an infection/fever.  This could well be an injury such as a sprain or strain.  Unfortunately the swelling and warmth to touch would indicate an infection.  Would start on penicillin - what injectable antibiotics do you have available to you - in the US this is over the counter at most feed/farm stores.  Dosage would be 2 cc in the thigh muscle/intramuscular injection to start with and then 1 cc (up to 30 pounds body weight) twice a day for 5 to 7 days.  Human aspirin works well on the fever and inflammation and pain - one 325 mg human aspirin per 75 pounds body weight so for a 1 month old would probably need 1/4 to 1/2 of this aspirin - grinding up and dissolving in a little hot water and giving orally is best - adding yogurt is excellent too as with any antibiotic a probiotic needs to be given daily.  The aspirin would be given every 4 to 6 hours until fever is down.  Keeping separated is also excellent.  If you do not have access to penicillin please let me know what you do have access to and I can give you dosage and/or if that antibiotic would work.  As an aside, did the kid goats umbilical cords get dipped in iodine at the time of birth?  Thanks - Donna

QUESTION: Yes.. we dip the cord in iodine wax....

ok.. I think I am a little light on the aspirin then.. I gave her 1/8th of a 325mg tab... And will move up the next dose and get her a little more aspirin now.

I have Penicillin  (proper) and I have Citius. I personally like the citius. But am not married to it.

I do not have a thermometer to check her temp.. this is something I keep forgetting to buy. Is there another method for checking temp. I would rather not use any antibiotics if I can help it.

We are also drenching regularly to keep her milk intake up.. She isnt able to go out with her mom to the pasture.. so we are supplementing her as best we can.

Thanks for the responses...

ANSWER: Thanks for the update.  Yes, would give more aspirin.  Re the Citius, this is a ceftiofur drug and I have found that it does not always take care of all infections as it is made specifically for respiratory or digestive infections/issues and for cattle and pigs.  Have you given intramuscular injections before?  Re the penicillin it needs to be intramuscular for best results
and use of the thigh muscle with a 22 gauge needle 1/2 to 3/4 inch in length - this lessens the possibility of hitting a vein and/or a nerve.  Drawing back on the plunger just a small bit after the needle is in also allows you to see if you are in the vein - many goats have allergic reactions to antibiotics in their venous blood system.  

If possible you could start her on bottle raising - this may take a few tries but generally once they are hungry they will start to drink that way - we use a nipple called the Pritchard teat or you can use human baby bottles/nipples.  Hope this helps - Donna

QUESTION: ok.. so.. Citius is not best for my goats? I do have regular Penicillin. I have done IM injections. I dont like injections at all.. and would rather go Oral if I could find a way to administer an Oral antibiotic. Are you aware of any that I could use?

We have been using baby bottles... and have to replace the nipples regularly.. after seeing what they do to a rubber nipple.. I  cringe thinking about what they are doing to momma...  I think I start calling the gnawers something to give momma some respect.. lol

Btw.. I will start a new question about hooves during the monsoon season as well as Bot Fly Larvea... in case others have similar issues.

Yes, I would not recommend Citius for goats.  I agree with injections but sometimes it is just best to take the plunge to be sure we are treating for an issue.  Re oral antibiotics, these do work in some circumstances such as pneumonia or digestive but with extremity infections those antibiotics just can't make it to the site of issue to help enough.  I have found that the Pritchard teats last a full 2 months to 3 months of bottle raising.  I agree that some kid goats seem to be more gnawers than others.  Perhaps that's why my does never care about me taking the kids away at birth, ha, ha.  

Hope this does help - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County