Goats/goat bucks

Question
QUESTION: yes we have had about 4 cases of the anemia. i just need to know what should i do different

ANSWER: Where are you located?  You may have the barber pole worm as the issue, which causes anemia.  If your herd is dairy goats then the does should be coming into heat late August, so you can start breeding then.  The does of course have to be at least one to one and a half years of age before you can breed them.  The Safeguard wormer/fenbendazole is the wormer that kills the barber pole worm.  If you see light pink to white lower inner eyelids then treating with the Safeguard with a slightly different regimen takes care of that - you use three times the body weight to find the dose on the plunger and then you give this amount once a week for three weeks.  Hope this helps - Donna

QUESTION: we are in south Tx, they are boer goats.

ANSWER: Texas does have the Barber pole worm - it usually is an issue in pastures that have grass less than 3 inches tall - the barber pole worm larva can climb only to 3 inches on grass and so if the grass is longer the goats usually don't pick up the larvae with eating, but if shorter they have a high risk of picking it up.  If on the oral horse wormer regimen I would expect that the fenbendazole wormer every other 2 months should help keep the barber pole worm issues away.  The other cause of anemia would be from liver flukes, but these usually are in warm/wet places with goats being able to get into streams and rivers and flooded pastures where they pick up the liver fluke larvae.  Hope this helps - Donna

As an aside, Boer goats should also be coming into heat late August and early September.  Hope that helps - Donna

QUESTION: i was thinking about putting the bucks in October. so we have spring kids or should i put the bucks from now

Answer
What you look at is when do you want kids born.  If you have a hard winter or have hard winters in the past you might think about breeding later so you have the kids born when the weather is warmer.  I bottle feed all my kid goats so I can have the kids born in winter and it doesn't matter - they stay in the house for the first 7 days and then are moved to a horse trailer with heat lamps over the next few weeks and then are moved to the barn stall with a heat lamp, this all slowly gets them used to colder temperatures.  Have you seen any of your does in heat yet? I usually wait until I see at least one doe in heat.  Hope that helps - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres