Goats/Goat, rolling head

Question
QUESTION: I just acquired 2 nannies, 1 and 2 yrs. old. The youngest has been rolling her head, non stop. They are Lamanchas and have very little ear lobe. Do they have mites? How do I treat this?

ANSWER: Are they eating and drinking well?  Do you have other goats in the herd that are aggressive to them?  Have they done this since you got them? Stress/anxiety can cause a goat to roll its head.  Other goats do it just for fun.  If they had mites you would see a creamy to brownish colored discharge from their ears.  Generally with mites a goat shakes its head instead of rolling its head.  Let me know - Donna

QUESTION: Donna, thx for quick response. They are stressed from recent move and off their feed for one week. Now eating again for one week, I just separated them to wean the 1 yr old. They can still see each other but the 1 yr old is NOT happy and rolling her head more. Hope they settle down soon. How long should I keep them apart for the mom to dry up? {I separated them because mom was loosing wt. and baby was fat and sassy.]

Answer
Certainly sounds like stress.  Re keeping them apart, 2 to 4 weeks usually is enough time for mom to dry up.  You can use a homeopathic remedy on the yearling called Pulsatilla - this is available over the counter at supplement and some natural food stores, also can get online.  It is used for people to help with anxiety and stress - these are pellets and for a yearling would use 4 pellets dissolved in a little hot water, cooled and all (including a little of the pellet that is usually left over) two to four times a day for 2 to 3 days.  This will not hurt the doeling at all.  I use it for does coming to us for breeding service with our bucks - they may arrive freaked out but after a few doses of the Pulsatilla settle down nicely.  Hope this helps.  Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres