Goats/Small Pygmy goat female

Question
About 8 month old .  Last five days has no use of front legs and yes might of been butted by bigger Pygmy goat   Vet didn't help much charged $80 gave me three steroid shots to give her said thought she might been injured somehow   She eats drinks made sling for her where all four legs barely touch ground. Three says ago night time we take her out let her lay.  Now has one cloudy looking eye  think that was due to her laying and pushing while laying on same side for two days and nights but anyway any help out there  has no use at all of front legs

Answer
Does she have a fever?  Anything over 102.5 is a fever and would indicate an infection.  Did she have her umbilical cord dipped in iodine at birth? Are either of the front legs swollen or feel hot to touch? This could be a delayed joint ill which is an infection of the joints but this usually has a fever with it and warm to touch and/or swollen joints.  This could also be a pneumonia causing weakness and many times pneumonia does not come with a fever.  What type of feed regimen is she on?  If she is eating grain that is high in protein she may have founder/laminitis, this again usually comes with swollen and/or hot extremities.  The cloudy looking eye is an infection probably caused by bacteria getting into it from laying and pushing on her side.  

Another possibility for leg weakness is selenium deficiency, but the age of the goat makes this a less likely possibility.

This also could simply be an injury to his back/spine or front legs.  

Would take a temp is possible - I use a human digital thermometer and you take the temp rectally just putting the small metal tip into the rectum.  

Would start use of PDZ puffer - this is an antibiotic powder okayed for use in the eyes - most feed/farm stores carry this - you puff the powder into the affected eye twice a day for 7 days.  

To cover for the different items above - and none of this will hurt the goat but something should help - usually a kitchen sink method helps with an illness cure regimen - I would advise the following:

Human aspirin, one 325 mg aspirin per 75 pounds body weight, crushed and dissolved in a little hot water, cooled and given orally every 4 to 6 hours for two days.

Would start on either penicillin or LA200 intramuscular injections.  Both these products are available at most farm/feed stores - use of a 20 gauge 1/2 to 3/4 inch needle works well - have you given intramuscular injections before?  I can tell you how if not.  Would give one of these antibiotics for 5 days. Let me know answers to above questions and I can tell you which one would be a better choice.  Once he is on antibiotics he also must get probiotics once or twice a day during the time he is on the antibiotics - I use yogurt - one or two teaspoons mixed in a little water to thin and then draw up in an oral drenching syringe or turkey baster and give orally.

Would give selenium - this is human selenium, 200 mcg tablets, giving 10 of these tablets crushed and dissolved in a little hot water, and to this add all the oil from a 1000 IU capsule of vitamin E and all the oil from an 800 capsule of vitamin D - these are all human kind, over the counter.  Mix, cool and give orally now and then repeat in 2 days.  

The aspirin will not only help with any inflammation and fever but if there is an injury to the legs this might be able to help too - hoping there is no break in the bones.  

Please let me know answers to the above questions.  Donna

Please note:  The PDZ is supposed to be NFZ puffer.  Thanks.

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres