Goats/Watery Eye's !

Hi Donna , how are you ? I picked up a couple Boer doelings from the same farm , and both have watery eyes . It flows continuously to the point one girl gets puss build up . At a loss to know what this is or how to treat it . I am guessing it is contagious where the 2 came from the same place from different moms and at different times . Can you help ? I do have Polysporin on hand , buts that's it , I have that blue spray also .

Hi there - I would say it is a chronic infection or an allergic reaction.  Would treat for infection -  the polysporin is that the eye ointment you have?  I like to use NFZ puffer to puff into their eyes twice a day for 5 days.  Usually that takes care of any infection.  You can also try treating with children's benadryl to help with possible allergies - to dust in the hay is a possibility. Hope this helps. Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County