Goats/bottle jaw

Hi Donna , have a friend with a 2 year old full size goat that has severe bottle jaw , ( saw pic's of it ) 3 days now . Says her poops are normal and eyelids are pink , this one has me baffled , maybe Liver Fluke ? He has started the horse wormer Ivermectin 1.87% , and also the fenbendazole , but that is something I have never seen before , it's for dogs , will this work ? I suggested the Panacure horse wormer also . He hasn't got his fecal back yet . Also, he got iron injectable for pig's , is this ok and 4-5 cc is this the right dose . Suggested new cell . I don't get the pink eyelids with bottle jaw , unless they are a little pink and full blown anemia hasn't set in yet ?

Perhaps he is not looking at the lower inner eyelids - other membranes around the eyes can look pink but the lower inner eyelids (actually pulling down the lower lids) really shows anemia. Also, if he has not looked at the lower inner eyelids before, perhaps they were a deep rose color and so the pink is indeed anemia.  Anemia is certainly the cause of bottle jaw.  For any parasite causing anemia treatment is Safeguard (fenbendazole in horse wormer form is best) at using 3 times the goat's body weight to find the dosing, then give once every 7 days for three dosings.  Iron injectable is fine - I don't use this as I use human iron tablets so don't know a dose, he could just calculate for a goat and that is usually twice compared to other animals.  Hope that helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County