i found this really healthy goat in the herd that has an Abscess and its under her ear on the back of her Jaw and i think it might be CL, and i don't know whether to treat or just cull it. also what is the dose on the Zimecterin paste and Safe-Guard paste for goats and how often should i dewrom. GOD Bless

The only way to verify it is CL is to have a sample sent to a lab. You need to isolate her so they others do not get infected if it bursts. You can get a good idea by what the pus looks like. Bad-smelling pus is bacterial; CL is very thick and cheese-like. You cannot cure it and they can also have it in the lungs.  These are the things you need to consider in culling.

I only deworm at the beginning of breeding season for the bucks and right after kidding for the does. Otherwise, I look at fecals or send them to a lab to determine whether there is a worm problem. Dose for pastes is 2 x the cattle dose by weight. You will have to estimate the weight, but neither of the dewormers you mention are easy to overdose them on.

Hope this answers your questions.

Cheryl K. Smith

Goat Health Care; basic goat management. Author of Goat Health Care (2009) and Raising Goats for Dummies (2010)

Publisher of Goat Health Care, www.goathealthcare.com. I have raised miniature dairy goats since 1998. I published Ruminations, the Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Dairy Goat magazine for 7 years and mentor other goat owners, as I was mentored for my first years.

American Goat Society (AGS), The Miniature Goat Registry (TMGR)

Raising Goats for Dummies (author) Goat Health Care (Editor and Author), Ruminations, Dairy Goat Journal, Issues in Law and Medicine, Topics in Health Records Management, Oregon Bar Bulletin, Midwifery Today, Countryside

BS, Health Information Administration JD, Law