Goats/mouth sores

Question
Hi Donna , recently purchased a couple goats and other than being worm infested which is now under control I noticed this morning a doeling has scabby sores all along the outside of her mouth on one side , almost like cold sores . I checked an older doe and she has at least one sore in the same place , never seen it before and have no idea what it is or how to treat it ? Ideas ?

Answer
Unfortunately that sounds like "sore mouth"/pox.  This also unfortunately can be contagious if the sores leak fluid onto other goats.  Best thing currently is to separate these goats from the rest of your herd until the sores are dried up totally.  Here is a good site although lots more info is on the internet - http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/soremouth.html

Not much you can do except keep the sores clean and keep them from getting infected from flies.  Hope that helps - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres