Goats/mouth sores

Hi Donna , recently purchased a couple goats and other than being worm infested which is now under control I noticed this morning a doeling has scabby sores all along the outside of her mouth on one side , almost like cold sores . I checked an older doe and she has at least one sore in the same place , never seen it before and have no idea what it is or how to treat it ? Ideas ?

Unfortunately that sounds like "sore mouth"/pox.  This also unfortunately can be contagious if the sores leak fluid onto other goats.  Best thing currently is to separate these goats from the rest of your herd until the sores are dried up totally.  Here is a good site although lots more info is on the internet - http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/soremouth.html

Not much you can do except keep the sores clean and keep them from getting infected from flies.  Hope that helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County