Goats/2 day old Nigi

Question
QUESTION: We had a set of twins born 2 days ago outside in 17 degree temps. When found, 1 a little stiff. Warmed them up and trying to get them back up to par. Trying to milk momma but her milk is just now coming in and very little. So im giving babies it along w/ vitamin d milk.  One seems to be doing good. Walking around and eating abt 1 ounce every couple hours. She is very tiny.  The boy on the other hand is only wanting to eat 4 or 5 sucks worth. He just stands in one place. Not active at all. Both are pooping and peeing. Girl is pooping yellowish now, boy still the black.  Can I do something to help him start getting more active??

ANSWER: I suspect their internal temp is still low - would put little dog sweater or baby top on them and keep warm with heat lamp if possible - I take it you have them inside with you.  Might suspect that the little guy may have pneumonia - would start him on either oral antibiotic (can get over the counter at the feed store - tetracycline or duramycin or sulfa works fine - powders - 1 teaspoon per 20 pounds twice a day - so I suspect not more than perhaps 1/8 teaspoon - mix in a little milk and give via a little syringe orally.  Or, you can start on injectable penicillin - which is what I do - also available over the counter at most feed/farm stores - would be 1/4 to 1/2 cc twice a day for 3 to 5 days - given intramuscularly in the rear thigh muscle - they do have a little muscle back there - once needle is in you do need to pull back just a little on the plunger to be sure you are not in a vein - red color would fill the barrel very quickly, then you would pull out and start over.  Use of a 22 gauge 1/2 inch needle works best for tiny goats.  You can also give the little guy some karo syrup - just 1/2 cc and you can add this to his milk.  You can also massage the little guy's tummy with a very warm wash cloth just for a few seconds to help his digestion - like we do with kittens to get their digestive systems moving.  Hope this helps - let me know - you are also welcome to call me at 360-742-8310  - Donna

QUESTION: I have the pennicillian warming to room temp. I took his temp earlier and it was 104  I also gave an 80 mg baby asprin.  Did I mess up

Answer
Thanks so much for the update.  So anything over 102.5 is a fever.  Glad you gave him the baby aspirin.  He has an infection that would be causing the fever, which could be an infection he got from his mom or a pneumonia, but either way penicillin is best.  I usually draw up the penicillin and then let the syringe warm up, that way whole bottle of penicillin does not get warm.  Would start him at 1/2 cc of penicillin and then you can drop back to 1/4.  Aspirin can be given every 4 hours at a rate of 1/2 of a low dose aspirin (81 mg) for most small kid goats, and usually within 2 to 3 doses the fever is broken and they at least start being hungry again.  Is mom doing okay?/eating and drinking okay? Thanks again for the info - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres