Goats/Following up on Nigi baby w/ fever

Question
QUESTION: My little Nigi doe that is a week old seems to still have a temp. It is 104.3 as of now. She is eating and drinking normally but doesnt have a lot of energy. Gave her pen. last evening and will do again today.  I have run out of baby asprin and due to these nasty weather and roads I cant get more until tomorrow. I have been substituting w/ adult asprin and hope im not messing up w/ that. I do have liquid Ibuprophen if that works.

ANSWER: Thanks for the update.  Would continue with the penicillin twice a day for 5 days.  Do you have any other injectable antibiotics available?  Sometimes the joint ill is treated better with LA200 (oxytetracycline).  This is another over the counter antibiotic.  Also, human adult aspirin is fine - actually I use that as I always have that around - use of 1/8 of a 325 mg tablet works well, again needs to be crushed and dissolved in a little liquid.  Ibuprofen is not the best for goats and that would be a last choice but better than nothing.  Hope this helps - Donna

QUESTION: The only other antibiotics we have right now is LA 300 that we use on our cattle. I have looked at her navel and it looks norm. No abcess or anything.

ANSWER: Reading about LA300 it would be used off label for goats but then again LA200 is also used off label.  Dose is 3 cc/100 pounds body weight once ever 2 to 3 days.  What happens with navel ill is that if the umbilical cord is not dipped in iodine at birth it is possible for bacteria to go up the cord and then it travels over days to the joints.  The navel many times looks fine.  If her temp continues to rise today I might think switching her to the different antibiotic, which is known to care for navel ill, would be a choice I might make.  Hope this helps - let me know.  Thanks - Donna

QUESTION: Ok so should I continue w/ the Pen. for the day and see what her temp does? Then if no change go to La 300?  If so, what would I dose a 5 lb baby? IM or sub q?

Answer
Hi there - yes, I would see how her temp is by the end of today.  If no change then start LA300 tomorrow a.m. - dose would be 1/4 cc for up to about 10 pounds body weight.  Give IM (you still need to draw back just a little on the plunger to be sure you are not in a vein).  Not sure if you have had the "sting" effect in the cattle, but it usually does sting when going into goats.  Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres