You are here:

Goats/Goat ate mouse poison


My goat ate 2 small packs of mouse poison last night and today I given him activated charcoal. Is there anything else I should try?

Charcoal is best given immediately after ingestion of poison.  Did the goat end up vomiting? Is the goat eating and drinking, and acting normally currently?  Would advise giving milk of magnesia at 1/2 cup per 75 pounds body weight every 4 hours for 3 dosings.  This coats the rumen and also helps get rid of the contents of the rumen to include the poison quickly.  Mouse poison kills from the inside out, attacking the mouse's digestive tract.  So you want to get rid of whatever poison may be left in the goat.  It is always best to treat sooner than later with poison intake but it still may help to treat with the milk of magnesia.  Would also make sure the goat is drinking well - water or electrolytes or warm molasses water - this also helps to clear out the poison.  Hope this helps - Donna


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres


All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.


27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Awards and Honors
Small Farm Award of Thurston County

©2017 All rights reserved.