Goats/newborn Nigi twins

Went out 2 feed last evening ( 17degrees) and found one of my Momma's ( abt 4 yrs old, healthy and former good mom) had dropped twins outside in the cold. 1 was practically frozen. Rushed to house, gave hot baths until temps came up. Tried milking mom, but her colostrum was so thick, it was near impossible. ( no foul smell, no lumps or no hot sac) so I administered what I had of powdered colostrum. ( maybe 1 ounce each. Decided to take mom to warm basement and see what happens. She took to caring for kids all over again. I watched and helped as they began to nurse.  Checked on them every 2 hrs thru night and each time, I literally made them nurse. But noticed they were yelling more than norm.  @ 7am they were same as rest of night, but @ 9 am I found them almost stiff on floor. Rushed back to house and warmed them up. They are now keeping 100 degree temps and wanting to suckle a bit. I did get a little milk from mom this morning and mixed it w/ my vitamin D milk ( already have a bottle baby) and they seems to act starved. I let them eat as much as they wanted ( abt an ounce each)  Both peeing, pooping .   Is there smoething I should do?? Should I continue trying to milk Mom?

HI Julie,
Some newly freshened does will have very thick  (like glue) colostrum for the first day or 2 and in these cases you have to make sure the babies are getting enough to eat as they do not have the strength to suckle that thick colostrum. Supplementing with bottles  in between allowing them to eat from mom is the best way to go with this and yes.. helping mom by milking her  will help her  drop her milk and  get a bit more stable.  It also helps her create more milk as they do  produce milk on a supply and demand, so if the kids are not eating from her for the first few days.. she will drop milk production.. the more they eat the more she will make.  I have an article on bottle babies -
I would also for the next few days make sure to keep them  somewhere warm.. maybe in a special place in the house  where they do not need to use what energy they have to keep warm..  mom too.. so she can mother them.. and feed them in between the supplemental bottles.. the one thing to make sure not to make the mistake doing is to allow any baby to eat  until it acts not hungry.. they will always act starved - and they will drink too much and get very ill.  So in my article on bottle babies it also has a sample  feeding schedule to begin with..  watch and see how often mom feeds them  and if they act  normal. (there should be no crying for no reason.. ) they should be happy, playing, sleeping peeing pooping etc..  if they lay around and cry alot something is wrong.. either getting too much or not enough to eat.. rectal temps should be between 101.5 to 103.5 normally - there are many other baby articles on my website that will help guide you  for other things but as long as they are eating.. temps are at least 101.5 and they are not laying around crying .. things  should be ok.. ALSO you may have to help them poop..  using either a q-tip with vasoline to help prime the little poop chute or  a tiny enema if they  get full and do not want to eat..  many times little ones with  a rough start will have issues with pooping in the first week or so..  (baby enema info here -

Let me know how things are going.
So far you have done very well.. :)  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University