Goats/poorly kid

Question
Hi - I have a 10 month old male angora goat. 2 months ago he started to get very thin and we wormed him with the rest of the herd. He carried on going down hill to the extent that he could not stand up on his own, I had to lift him up every morning, and then he would eat fine. After 2 weeks of this we had a faecal test done, which showed a strongles count of 6600!!! We changed wormer (a yellow, frothy liquid that the vet gave us to give orally, he didn't say what it was), and literally the next day he had more energy and was up on his own every morning. The coccidiosis was also quite high so we gave the whole herd vecoxan. That was over a month ago. He is fine in himself now and is eating everything we put in front of him. He gets regular granules in the morning, vegetable and fruits lunch time and then bread and more veggies late afternoon, with hay available all the time - he is in for the winter now. He has been seperated off with his mum as a. it is easier to feed him more than the rest and b. whenever we try him with the rest he gets butted over and can't get up. We have been giving him B12 and iron supplements for the last 2 weeks. My problem is that he is not putting an weight back on. He was literally on his last legs 2 months ago and was skeletal - now his rumen area is more normal but his bones are still sticking out around his rear and spine and his back legs are like sticks. What am I doing wrong? I have just collected another faecal sample to have it examined to check he is free from worms now, but what else can I do to fatten him up and build up his muscles?? So far this winter he has had pink eye, which luckily he has recovered from very quickly but I am worried that he will go down with something more serious with no fat reserves to help him fight it. Any advice would be so much appreciated!

Answer
Goats and Green Protein Tubs
Goats and Green Protei  
HI Karen,
I am so sorry  you  and he went through this.. it's scary I know.. Angora goats are more fragile than other breeds.. and it seems as though they can almost literally lose weight to a very frightening thin structure  in a short time yet putting weight back on takes months.. Keep up with your fecal tests to make sure he does not relapse - and in the mean time be careful on the grain feed.. as it can cause UC .
Make sure he has access to hay 24 hours a day..  and an old farmer trick is to add corn oil to the hay..  I have heard of old farmers using a spray bottle and literally praying down the hay with corn oil.. no other kind of oil will work.. and this will help put on fat..  additionally make sure he has enough minerals - I am not familiar with what you have available there but we have large molasses mineral tubs here .. high in protein fat and calories.. made for range cattle..  also a product called DYNE  is a liquid animal  supplement for adding weight.. ( http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e0710a-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204 ) Calf manna is another  good supplement for adding nutrition and weight..  ( http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=8f667cc8-f772-432a-a5c6-32b4237ab ) Now as I said I do not know if these are available there or something similar.. might be.. ALSO I would give him things like fruit.. apples cut up.. bananas, melons.. stay away form the cabbage family.. or onions.. no raw potatoes.. only cooked.. Keep him somewhere he can stay warm..  so he does not use what little reserve he has to keep himself warm.. offer warm water daily..  maybe add some molasses to it..  goats will dehydrate easy in winter because they do not like cold water.. it  getsin the gut and takes body energy to heat it up.. so warm water is better.

I use  Ivomec PLUS for deworming  ( http://goat-link.com/content/view/58/46/ )
Let me know how he does.. any questions let me know.. but yes it can take a very long time to put the weight back on.. and in that time frame he will be delicate.  Angoras are my favorites.. and the boys especially....  keep me posted..

Keep testing his fecal exams.. and cocci..  hugs  

Goats

Goatlady