Goats/show goat with splitting horns

Hello. My daughter is in the Ag program at school and she is currently raising her 3rd boar goat . He was purchased at an older age and was not de-horned. The weather has been unusually cold and wet. He, Luke is his name, lives at the Ag farm in an open air barn. (I call it a shed) . He is able to get out if the rain but not the wind. His horns and hooves have begun cracking. How can we help Luke? I am concerned forhis health, but he is a show goat, so looks are a big factor also. We wish him to have healthy, shiny horns. what can we do?

Can you put a tarp on the side where the wind comes in? I am thinking about the fair, when we encountered this problem.

I also wonder about oiling the hooves and horns with coconut oil with vitamin E. That may help with their appearance.

Good luck with him.  

Cheryl K. Smith

Goat Health Care; basic goat management. Author of Goat Health Care (2009) and Raising Goats for Dummies (2010)

Publisher of Goat Health Care, I have raised miniature dairy goats since 1998. I published Ruminations, the Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Dairy Goat magazine for 7 years and mentor other goat owners, as I was mentored for my first years.

American Goat Society (AGS), The Miniature Goat Registry (TMGR)

Raising Goats for Dummies (author) Goat Health Care (Editor and Author), Ruminations, Dairy Goat Journal, Issues in Law and Medicine, Topics in Health Records Management, Oregon Bar Bulletin, Midwifery Today, Countryside

BS, Health Information Administration JD, Law