Goats/Wendall our nubian goat

Question
QUESTION: Wendall was bunted very hard by his brother Walter about 2 weeks ago.  He was doing perfectly well up until then and now cannot put any weight on his right front foot.  The leg is quite limp from the knee down.  We have put a soft leg brace on him for support.  This has helped a bit.  He is on white willow and yucca 2 times per day.  We suspect nerve damage.  We think a cast is not the way to go.  Wondering what else we can be doing to support him in his recovery.  No temperature, no hoof damage, great appetite with his daily bucket of carrots, bannanas, apples and veggie scraps from the kitchen.  Chews away on his hay.  Do you have any suggestions on how we might support him in recovering from this injury?

ANSWER: Hi there - could be broken or could just be a very bad strain/sprain. A leg brace can help. A cast is not a good option, you are correct.  Many times if it is a fracture, that fracture will heal with time.  No warmth to the hoof or carpal (knee) joint?  What is his body temperature?  Anything over 102.5 would be a fever and that could indicate an infection. Is he getting up and down okay? Peeing and pooping okay?  Sounds like he is eating well.  Would start him on aspirin - human type one 325 mg aspirin per 100 pounds body weight given orally every 4 to 6 hours - the aspirin tablet needs to be crushed and dissolved in a little hot water, cooled and then given orally.  Would also use Arnica Montana - a homeopathic remedy for trauma to bones, muscles and nerves - use five of the pellets given orally twice a day for at least 5 days (I like to dissolve in a little hot water and then give the mixture when cooled orally).  Would try to keep him from doing a lot of walking, that is keep him in his own small area/pen if possible.  Hope this helps - Donna

QUESTION: Hi Donna - thanks tons for your prompt response and all of the info.  We are using the white willow and yucca instead of asprin as our thinking is that white willow is the naturopathic form of asprin.  Are you saying we should stop the white willow and start asprin?  Please advise.  We get the white willow and yucca from in a pure powder from from our local health food store.  Wendall (approx. 225 LBS.) gets about a heaping tablespoon of each dissolved in hot water and maple syrup when it warm he gobbles it up.   Will get him on the Arnica today.

There is no warmth to the hoof or knee joint and he does not have a temperature.  It takes alot of work for him to get up and down.  He does lay down eventually but then a real effort to get back up.  Once up he hobbles on 3 legs using a bit of the 4th then he lies in his manger with his front two legs in the feeding tray which we have put lots of bedding for comfort and then he stands on his back 2 legs.  We put hay in the tray and he eats his hay this way and naps.  Makes his way around his crib/manger a bit then back to rest.  Then on all 4's for feeding 2 x's per day at his bucket.  We are isolating him from Walter as we don't want him too active till we get this sorted out.  His pees and poops are normal - no problems there.  Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Thanks for the update.  The white willow and yucca certainly help with mild pain due to arthritis as well as helping joints, but for an acute need straight aspirin works better in my experience.  I would advise stopping the willow and yucca and start aspirin for at least 2 days and then back to the willow and yucca, hoping by 2 days he should be a little more improved with the acute pain and discomfort.  I always start with aspirin for injuries for up to 2 to 5 days to get pain and inflammation under control.  Sounds like he is otherwise doing pretty well.  Hope this helps - let me know - thanks - Donna  

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres